Thursday, August 5, 2010

Runes: The Heathen way vs The Wiccan way

So yesterday I was surfing through Youtube when I came across a few videos on Rune reading. Two of these videos stood out for me. One was done by a heathen (User Lurch579) here's a link to his channel:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDpHZbFAWM8&playnext=1&videos=jzKjQouR7sk. In his videos he explains what each rune means, the pronunciation of the runes, the numeric order and what ætt the the rune belongs to. He describes what value it will have in a divination reading (if you're into that) and how it can be applied in everyday life. I found his videos to be helpful in explaining a complex subject such as this.

The other video on the Runes was done by a Wiccan (User CharmingPixieFlora) here's the link to her channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CharmingPixieFlora#p/u/238/_z5xPWWf8IE . In her video she struggles to explain what the Runes are, how to use them, and even butchers the pronunciation of the word Futhark (I actually cringed when I heard her). She had no experience with or understanding of the Runes, and pretty much picked them up as a plug and play system of divination. She suggested "Rune Cards" which are like Tarot cards for those interested in trying it out. She used some chart that was suppose to have the meaning of each Rune listed, but it was more like a poor mans job at best. With little to no understanding of the Runes how can she use them efficiently?

That brings me to my point, and perhaps the issue many heathens have with Wiccans in general. Heathens do a lot of homework; many of us jokingly call it the religion with homework. Research is a large part of what we do. If we don't have enough information on a particular subject we won't present it to others. We don't believe in the plug and play method either. To say that the Runes are interchangeable with the Tarot is not only wrong, but insulting as well. Wiccans can't seem to grasp this, thus the rift between modern heathens and neopagans exists. The young woman in the video may not have intended to insult Heathens; she may have been seeking alternative ways of divination. Seeking alternative ways of divination is fine, but please know what it is that you're getting into. If you want to use the Runes, learn about them, know where they come from, know about the lore. To simply Google the work Rune, pick up some Cliff note meanings, and work it into your Rune casting won't work.

I for one am still learning about the Runes. I have yet to do a Rune reading for anyone besides a sample reading I did for myself. I have always approached Galdr with reverence and caution, much like the way I approach the use of a gun or bow when hunting. Such tools must be use with extreme caution. The way Wiccans approach power is quite reckless. Now not all Wiccans are this way, but many of them are. I view many of them like children who get their hands on their parent's gun, and way it around like it's a toy. Folks please know what you are getting into!

I don't know if this young lady will ever read this, but if she does I will suggest that she should pick up a few books on the subject, learn about the Runes, and shoot a follow up video.

Well that's my little rant for the day. I will see you next time.

In Frith!

2 comments:

  1. Nice picture! Runes, huh? Sadly, there are so many Wiccans that practice for the wrong reasons, just as in any religious/spiritual path. While one of its many benefits is being open to anyone and everyone, Wiccan does attact a lot of people that watched a few episodes of "Charmed" and decided they wanted to dress in skimpy clothing, wear pentagrams, and wave their hands around while reciting stuff they read in a Book of Shadows they purchased from Barnes & Nobles. However, like you said, we're not all like that. Scratch the surface of Wicca and dig deep, and you'll find people like me who are seeking self-understanding by connecting to the universal, primal powers that gave us form and, in turn, were given form by our fear, desire, dreams, and hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I believe that everyone has the right to live their lives the way they want to, and believe what they want to. I just want folks to educate themselves on a particular subject before trying to teach others. Would you pay any attention to a professor who got his degree using Cliff notes? I know I wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete